Howe (& New Howe) Machine Company (Glasgow)
Howe (& New Howe) Machine Company
48, Avenue Street, Glasgow, Scotland
Howe Machine Company Factory
Around 1870 the Howe Machine Company run by the Stockwells opened their first Scottish factory in Love Loan, where Singer's original Scottish factory had been (before Singer's Bridgeton and Kilbowie factories).
In 1871 sales of Howe machines in Europe had risen from 20,000 to 41,000 by 1873. That figure was independent of the 153,000 machines sent from Bridgeport, Conn.
As a result of this expanding business, in March 1872 Howe's manager for Scotland purchased a large plot of land close to the London Road, the existing buildings were knocked down and by March 1873 the Howe Machine Company moved from the Love Loan premises into their new factory. In less than three years capacity increased to 68,000 machines a year. By the 1880s that figure had risen to over 130,000 p.a. and exports to France, Spain and Mediterranean ports was considerable.
Compare with Singer, who commenced construction of their factory in James Street (the factory before Kilbowie) in August 1872. For Singer too, Spain was an important country at this time, selling 29,681 machines to Spain and Portugal in 1881 and employing 650 people.
Description of Howe's factories in Glasgow, totalling over 6,135 square feet. The main site on Avenue Street had a facade of 390 feet. The building on Fielden Street was 265 feet long, 30 feet wide and on three floor. At the corner of Avenue and Fielden was the main office. The forges were on the corner of Fielden and Barrostfield. The japanning and ornamentation department was on four floors, 81 feet x 45 feet.
The Howe Sewing Machine Company had factories not only in Bridgeport, Connecticut and Glasgow, Scotland, but also in Peru, Indiana, with branches in Paris, Berlin and St. Petersburg.
In the 1880s The Howe Machine Co. Limited had offices at 46 & 48 Queen Street, Victoria, London and Avenue Street, Glasgow where N P Stockwell was in charge. The Directeur Général for France was Victor André with salesrooms at 48 Boulevard Sébastopol in Paris (no mention of a Paris factory), he later also imported Davis machines.
Read about the Life and Death of Levi S Stockwell (and the Glasgow Howe factory)
In addition see Howe Sewing Machine Company Album under British Manufacturers (Little Howe etc)
Topic New Howe Elias
In 1882 there are two listings for Howe in London:
Howe Machine Co. Ltd, manufacturers of sewing machines (managing director, N. P. Stockwell), 46 & 48 Queen Victoria Street, EC; manufactory, Avenue Street, Glasgow and Howe Sewing Machine Co. (the first established in England); sole depot for the celebrated original Howe Machine, Prize Medals: - "London, 1862", "Paris, 1867". Speciality of hand sewing machines. No other address in London, European office, 27 Holborn Viaduct, EC.
In 1884 the Howe Sewing Machine Company is listed at 27 Holborn Viaduct, EC, whilst the "Howe Machine Company (Lim) (Elias Howe jun, original inventor of the sewing machine and founder of the Company), 46 and 48 Queen Victoria Street & Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Bristol, Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Leeds & Brighton. Gold Medal Paris Exhibition, 1878. Also manufacturers of the celebrated 'Howe' bicycles and tricycles." With another entry "Howe Machine Company (Lim) manufacturer of the celebrated 'Howe' bicycles and tricycles, 46 & 48 Queen Victoria Street, Gold Medal, Amsterdam.
In other words the Howe Sewing Machine Company was different from the Stockwell's Howe Machine Company.
Courtesy of EppyRoss
To the left is the logo on the family TS machine with the name New Howe Elias. It reads Elias Howe Jr. Inventor and Maker New York USA.
To the right is the logo registered in 1940 by Anker, it only reads Elias Howe Jr. Registered Trademark.
Howe (& New Howe) Machines
Courtesy of David Stirling.
This machine appears to be a Howe, Willcox & Gibbs-system chainstitch machine, though there is some uncertainty whether the sewing mechanism is the Wheeler & Wilson lockstitch type. This machine was spotted in the Cordier Museum in France.
A Howe G (No. 7), made at the Scottish factory, was described as a single thread chainstitch machine.
Howe White System
Picture taken from Frank P Godfrey's An International History of the Sewing Machine.
Godfrey gives a date of 1867 for this machine, which is clearly completely incorrect, because White's first Vibrating Shuttle machine wasn't even produced until 1876. When the Howe Machine Company of Glasgow was running into severe financial and managerial problems in 1885 they had started to produce machines infringing both White and Leader models. This machine will date to that era or later.
See the Howe Model G in the American Howe album, c1883 to c1886
Crown <Howe> Crown
Machine Courtesy of Claire Sherwell
Advertisement Courtesy of Daveofsuffolk, from The Essex Telegraph, November 1st 1890
Presumed to be German from the marquetry on the treadle base and the Singer-like Acanthus decals in the center of the bed. This is a Medium sized TS fiddlebase machine with the Elias Howe logo on the shoulder. No real evidence of it having been made by Henstenberg/Anker, except that Anker registered the Elias Howe logo in 1940. Could have been made in the Stockwell Brother's Glasgow factory?? Seeking more information.
Courtesy of Rijnko Fekkes
New Howe Elias
Serial Number 1479587
Courtesy of Eppyross
The decals are similar to Singer's Acanthus leaves. The machine says New < Howe < Elias across the arm and The Howe Sewing Machine Manufacturing across the top. The finials at the top of the needle bar are distinctive. The hand crank assembly is free standing. This is a family sized TS machine.
Courtesy of Cornelis Persvoet
This machine is likely to be a German built machine, due to the white porcelain hand crank and style of hand crank. The phrases "New Howe" and "Elias Howe" and the Elias Howe trademark were registered by Anker in 1940. Perhaps a little late for this machine as it is a transverse shuttle machine??